A faith library is a collection of books and resources that serves to nurture the faith of the members of your household. Listed below are some fundamental pieces of such a library. They come recommended by the staff members of St. Philip the Deacon.
You can find many of the titles at your local bookstore or at Amazon. Also, both Augsburg Fortress and Luther Seminary have great bookstores. Staff members are ready to assist you with further recommendations specific to their ministry areas.
These are the “must reads” and “must haves” for your personal faith library.
- The Holy Bible
- Luther’s Small Catechism
- Worship Book: Lutheran Book of Worship or With One Voice
There are hundreds of devotionals to choose from. The following come highly recommended.
- The Word for Every Day by Rogness
- Steadfast in Your Word: Daily Reflections with Martin Luther by Owen
Books of prayers and about prayer are helpful in encouraging faithful conversation with God.
- 100 Graces by Kelly
- Luther’s Prayers ed. by Brokering
- A Beginner’s Guide to Prayer by Beckmen
- The Pocket Guide to Prayer by Egeberg
These books will help you learn about the denomination, its beliefs, and the man behind it.
- Lutheran Basics by Gaide and Marcrander
- Baptized We Live by Erlander
- Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther by Bainton
- The Large Catechism by Luther
Almost but not quite “how to’s” of faithful living, these books are practical and solid.
- Here and Now by Nouwen
- Celebration of Discipline by Foster
These books are especially helpful for faithfulness in the workplace.
- Jesus CEO by Jones
- God is my CEO by Julian
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by Maxwell
- Half Time by Buford
Need help in understanding how to live out your faith in your daily life?
- - Listen! God is Calling by Bennethum
Where to begin?! Check out this web site for free classic books available in a variety of formats. Read Augustine, Calvin and Luther among others.
The Household of Faith:
These are good books on bringing up the next generation. Parents, grandparents and godparents alike will benefit from the wisdom here.
- 101 Faith Place pub. by Augsburg
- For Everything a Season by Nilsen
Here are books that help to quiet the inside and still the heart.
- Soul Feast by Thompson
- The Intimate Journey by Joel Warne
Suffering and Death:
For help in understanding the grieving process, and for comfort and hope in the midst of loss, take a look at:
- Where is God in My Suffering? by Simundson
- Good Grief by Westberg
A children’s library is not complete without these faithful books.
- Devotions for the Sandbox Set by Merten
- My Spiritual Alphabet Book by Bea
- The Christmas Story by Heyer
- The Easter Story by Heyer
These books come recommended by our own young people.
- The Student Bible A to Z
- The Message Bible by Peterson
- Dangerous Wonder by Yaconelli