At St. Philip the Deacon, we offer a number of ways to minister to others in need of God's loving care. Whether you are seeking the help and support of others, or you feel the need to offer your own gifts and support, we welcome you to these ministries with us.
- Healing Prayer - Meets the first and third Mondays of each month at 3 p.m. in the Nook. Focuses on prayers for healing in the world, and for those in need.
- Grief Coalition - St. Philip the Deacon is a supporter of the West Suburban Grief Coalition. Each quarter, Grief Coalition meets at a different facility Thursdays from 4-6 p.m. This group offers support for those who are grieving. Learn more about Grief Coalition.
- Caregivers - Meets weekly on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. in the Heritage Room. A time for discussion, prayer and support for those who are a primary caregiver for a loved one. Contact Pastor Valerie Strand Patterson for information.
Members of the Caregivers group have several recommendations to make on books about dementia. some are more like reference guides and others are personal stories of the journey. Reading these books will add to your knowledge of dementia and what to expect as the disease progresses:
- A Caregiver's guide to Lewy Body Dementia, by Helen Buell Whitworth and James Whitworth
- A Dignified Life: Best Friends Approach to Alzheimer's Care, by Virginia Bell and David Troxel
- Ambiguous Loss, by Pauline Boss
- Caring for a Person with Alzheimer's Disease, National Institutes of Health Publication #09-6173
- Coach Broyles' Playbook for Alzheimer's Caregivers, by Frank Broyles
- Mayo Clinic Guide to Alzheimer's Disease
- Still Alice, by Lisa Genova
- The 36-hour Day, by Nancy Mace and Peter Rabins
- Jan's Story, by Barry Peterson
- SOS - Sanctuary of Survivors - A Christ-centered support group for those who have lost a loved one to suicide. We meet the first and third Thursdays of each month from 7-8 p.m. in the Heritage Room. Contact Pastor Valerie Strand Patterson for information
- DivorceCare - A small group for those recovering from divorce. Usually we host a group in the fall for women, and another in the spring for men. Contact Pastor Valerie Strand Patterson for information. Learn more about DivorceCare.
- Lay Visitation Ministry - Members of St. Philip the Deacon who have been specially trained to be visitors to other members who are not able to regularly participate in the life of the church. Contact parish nurse Susan Path for information.